Monday, May 22, 2006

Only Black Folks..........

This woman came to the reference desk yesterday, to ask about using microsoft word on the internet computers. After I explained to her how she would access the program, she asked me if my hair was real. I told her that it is. She then asked, "Well, do you have tracks mixed in?" I told her no, and explained that sections are short because it has fallen out in some places. She went on to ask me if I had ever used Motions Permanent Hair Relaxer. I told her that I had, but I haven't put any type of relaxer in my hair for 9 months. I told her that I use a ceramic flat iron now. She said, "Oh, and that is enough for your hair; it leaves it looking like that." I told her that it did.

I was being real nice!!!! She stayed at the desk for 10 minutes asking me about my hair. If I had a weave, it would be much thicker than my hair. I would also have this gray covered up. I have had a track one time in my life and the glue drove me crazy. I wanted to add color to my hair without chemicals. That colored track only lasted one week in my hair.

All I could think about for the rest of the day is the nerve of black folks. I have had men pull my hair really hard when walking past me in a club. I realize that they wanted to know if it was real.

No comments: