Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Testing my nerves

This is the second day of my work week and I am already ready for my vacaton to start. My boss did her usual disappearing act at 3:30 p.m., saying that she would return by 5:00 p.m. We shall see. We are open until 8:00 p.m., but I take my dinner break at 5:00 p.m. Something tells me that she will be late, but ready to jet at 6:00 p.m. for her dinner break. This means that mine will be cut short. There are only two librarians here today and one of us is supposed to be on the floor at all times.

A group of teenagers arrived at 3:45 p.m. they are at times loud and really trying to see how far they can go. Now we all know that eating and or drinking has never been allowed in any public library. They are only surfing
www.myspace.com. Forget about the need to do real research in the library or online. Read a book, if it's not "urban fiction," they are not trying to hear about it.

Yesterday is what really caused me to seriously consider writing this blog. I am a children's librarian(not my ideal position.) I conduct preschool story time once a week on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.
10:00 a.m. February 21, 2006, I had set up the room early. I had the CD Player cued and the first song to be used was on pause. There is a heating problem in the meeting room(it ain't working,) so I was setting up the space heaters. A gentleman walks through the chairs and diagonally across the story time rug. When I look at him as if he has lost his mind, he says "Excuse me." I finish setting up and return to my desk to check my e-mail before the children arrive.
I notice that the man is taking a bit long in the restroom. I think, I will have to spray some Neutra-Air. After about 8 minutes, the man walks out and returns the key to the circulation desk. He then walks out the door. Two minutes later, the first group of children arrive. Once all of the children arrive, I go in to do a head count. THAT IS WHEN IT HAPPENS, I notice that the CD Player and the disc that was in it are gone. I immediately go outside in search of the man. I go as far as two blocks. HE IS LONG GONE. THAT CRACK WAS CALLING HIS NAME.
I tell the desk staff what has transpired and go on to conduct story time minus the music. One of the assistants tells my boss, the branch manager what has happened. It takes her two hours to say somehting to me about it.
The CD Player that was stolen was my personal property. The CD Player that belongs to the branch was broken by one of the story time performers a few months ago. My boss' response to the current incident and the previous one. "We can replace the CD player, if you buy one and then bring in the receipt." HOW ABOUT YOU BUY ONE AND BRING IN THE RECEIPT FOR REIMBURSEMENT.

I NEEDED A MEDIUM TO VENT MY FRUSTRATIONS AND I THOUGHT THIS JUST MIGHT BE IT!!!!!

No comments: