Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Don't Let them get to you!

That is what a patron said to me this past Sunday. I had been on the desk a little over an hour. I was scheduled to be at the reference desk for two hours straight. We are usually scheduled for desk duty every other hour. It was kind of brutal that day.

The patron who said those words to me comes into the library almost everyday. Whenever I see him, he always has a huge smile on his face. He is able to walk with the aid of crutches.

When I saw him, I smiled as usual, but immediately afterward, I continued relaying to my co-worker what had just happened. I guess he heard the frustration in my voice.

Monday afternoon, while at the reference desk, the same man approached me at the reference desk and I began laughing. He said, "I just wanted to see how you're feeling today." I told him that I was laughing because I was remembering what he told me the day before.

3 comments:

Mr.Slish said...

You need to stop wearing that ring...You could be missing out on a good dude who respects the charade...: )

Doret said...

I hate when customer's listen in, If I want to tell a story to a co-worker about someone pissing me off I am going to tell it. The telling is part of the healing process. But from this post this the patron doesn't seem too bad

Nexgrl said...

@Slish,
I only wear it while I'm at the reference desk. The smart ones will catch me outside of work and see me ring free. You know good and well there aren't any possiblities walking through here.

@Doret
Some of the patrons ear hustle all of the time. It got to the point where it was pointed out in a staff meeting that we must watch what we say while at the reference desk. This particular patron is okay, so far, he has been stoping when he sees me and asking if I'm okay.