Thursday, April 13, 2006

This keeps popping in my head

A patron called Tuesday morning. The telephone rang as soon as we opened the door to the public. The patron asks "What time does the branch open?" I answer, " 10:00 a.m." The patron then asks what time the main library opens and the closing time. I tell him that it opened at 9:00 a.m. and it closes at 8:00 p.m. The patron then asks me why our libraries open so late in the morning. I explain to the patron that this is a public library. The patron goes on to tell me that he is on Spring Break and needs to do some work at the library, but he wants to do it earlier in the morning.

I explained that university and community college libraries usually open a bit earlier than public libraries. It seems as if we can never do enough.

No comments: