Sunday, August 08, 2010

To be appreciated

An elderly woman approached me at the reference desk and said, "I'm not too good with new technology". I asked her what she was looking for.
She told me that she only had 80% of her hearing. I asked, "What is it that you're looking for?". She put the books that she had in her hands on the counter and said, "I need you to make some copies for me."
I stopped her by saying, "Oh, no, I don't do that. You need to go over to the page desk, which is across from the copy room.". She learned onto the counter and said, "I CAN'T HEAR YOU, WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?". I wrote page desk on a piece of paper and pointed in the direction she needed to go. She then said, "OH, THAT'S NOT A PART OF YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION, EXCUSE ME FOR OFFENDING YOU!"

As she walked away, I thought, "You can't hear, but you knew exactly what I said."


An old man was after her. He told me I wasn't listening to him. I told him the search terms that he needed to use for an online catalog search. I let him finish rambling, and the same terms were needed for the search. I also told him that he wouldn't find the books he wanted on the 3rd floor. I showed him the titles and he wanted me to print out each one he was interested in. I finally explained to him that all of the books are shelved near each other upstairs.


I helped a woman who was looking for books with information about harems. I asked her if she had done a keyword or subject search. She told me that she had done every type of search and wasn't able to find anything.
I asked her what country did she want? She told me whichever one had results. I did two keyword searches and found quite a few books.
She said, "I need to learn your search skills."

No comments: