Sunday, August 22, 2010

Who knew

If you act a fool on the telephone, you get results.

Wednesday, I heard my co-woker tell a patron via telephone that she has fines and they need to be resolved before she can check out a book.
The patron had requested that a book be placed on hold. My co-worker explained to the patron that she'd had to override the block on her record. My co-worker then told the patron where she could pick-up the book. The patron was yelling and screaming so loud, she didn't even hear what was being said.

My co-worker hung up the telephone as the patron was in the middle of her rant.

The patron called back and she was transfered to our floor. My co-worker said, "I'm not speaking to her again!"

I picked up the call, and the caller was trying to play the innocent victim. "Yeah, you hung up the the telephone in my face without even telling me where I could pick up the book."

I said, "I didn't hang up on you, and she did tell you where the book would be."

Patron: "If you didn't speak to me, how do you know what I'm talking about?"

I told her that I was standing at the desk when she called. The patron then began another rant, "I want her name and I want to speak with the manager. If the manager isn't available, then I want to speak with whoever's in charge!"
I put the patron on hold, so that I could transfer the call. She hung up.

This happened two more times.

Thursday afternoon, we found out that she had complained to the Chief of the Main's office, and her fines disappeared in the process.

2 comments:

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

Totally know about acting a fool on the phone but I only do it within reason and I try not to curse but yeah it will get you results!

Nexgrl said...

We were just surprised that she took it that far.