Wednesday, August 30, 2006

True Crime

I get a question regarding True Crime books at least once a week. Sometimes it's individuals, sometimes it's couples. The amount of people who find joy, want morbid details, or want to see crime scene pictures is scary.

The men who approach me and ask to be directed to the true crime books and announce that they only want the books with pictures really scare me. My supervisor and I were at the desk one day, I had directed a man to the section. The man returned to the desk and said, " I can't find the books, can you show them to me?" When I returned to the desk, I asked my boss, "Did he think telling me that he wanted to see crime scene pictures was a turn on?"

Patrons even steal the true crime books. Yeah, I know, patrons steal every type of book in the library.


************************Free Blackjack on the internet*********************


Patron: "I can't play blackjack on the computer!"

Me: "Did you type the website address in the browser?"

Patron: "No, what is the address?"

I walk over to the terminal where the patron has logged onto the internet. He has typed Free Blackjact practice in the search box on Google.

Me: "Why don't you just click on one of the websites listed?"

Patron: "I did, but they want your login identification and password."

Me: "Have you played blackjack here before?"

Patron: "Yes."

Me: "Why don't you just go to that website?"

Patron: "I don't know what it is, can you tell me the address of one?"

Me: "No."

Patron: "Can another librarian tell me a web address?"

Me: "Probably not."

Patron: "Why not?"

Me: : " Because we don't play blackjack on the computers."

2 comments:

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i am always floored at the library antics.

Going to the library to play poker online? now that is just 12 shades of wrong. i guess i take it for granted that every one has the internet at home these days!

what's wrong with folks??

Nexgrl said...

@Miss Ahmad
At the main, there are a lot of homeless who access the internet. There are also a few homeless who use the wireless access offered here. I don't know if it is San Francisco or what, but there are some unique homeless individuals who pass through these doors.

I guess one hour of uninterrupted internet fun is appealing.